How do you know if you have experienced a sports injury?
If you hurt youself after any sport or exercising, you may feel immediate pain, tenderness, swelling, bruising, or stiffness. Usually the individual will begin to feel or see symptoms hours after the exercsing or playing sports.
What causes a sports injury?
- an accident (fall or getting hit)
- not warming up properly before exercising
- using inappropriate techniques or equipment
- pushing youself too hard
Preventing a sports injury:
- waming up and stretching properly before playing sports/ exercising
- avoid pushing youself past your fitness level
- using the appropriate equipment such as running shoes, shin guards, and others.
- practice correct tehcniques to avoid further injuries
- Rest affected area up to 72 hours to prevent furhter trauma to that part of the body.
- Apply ice packs to affected area to reduce the swelling
- Painkiller medication such ibuprofen to relieve some of the pain and swelling
- Walking boot from your local podiatrist
- Compression leg wraps
We, United Foot and Ankle, strive to give the best care and treatment options to our patients! If you are having similar symptoms please feel free to contact us at (732) 979- 2035. Our offices are located in East Brunswick, Keyport, Perth Amboy, and Bayonne. We look forward to seeing you!